X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with cpe Discovery

I'm having a issue with the CPE Discovery process. I have installed server side applet and its working fine. I can access everything fine. But i cant pull any data from our CPE devices. I have verified I can access and pull snmp data if i do a snmpwalk. and i have verified all my setting in the rf-inspector.properties file are correct

Is there any logs for the CPE Discovery Process as i cant find any. So i can see what is happening.

thanks

I'm seem to be having the same problem. CPE discovery doesn't seem to be happening. I'm up an running. I've created some users. I'm not seeing any snmp traffic from the server. Any guidance you could offer for discovery logs would be helpful.

Thank you

Comment

Please verify your modems respond to the following mibs,

cable labs OIDs:
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.1.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.2.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.3.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.4.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.5.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.6.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.7.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.8.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.34.9.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.35.1.2 read

broadcom OIDs:
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.2.5.2.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.2.5.3.0 write
      1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.2.5.1.1.2 read

If they do not, you'll need to get with your modem vendor to find out what mibs work in their place and we can get those over to our dev team.

Comment

You can find a list of compatible hardware here

Comment

The cable modem or set-top box needs to support a DOCSIS MIB that allows for spectrum capture (DOCS-IF3-MIB_I21-130404). Newer modems support that functionality on the hardware side, and there are some brands with the Intel Puma 5 and Puma 6 chipsets that have been out in the field for a couple of years. While a model may support spectrum capture on the hardware side, it may need a firmware update to take advantage of that hardware capability. It may be that modems you have could be compatible with a firmware update. Your modem supplier should be able to confirm which models you have that include hardware support for spectrum capture and whether they have firmware to leverage that capability. Even if you don't have many or even any modems in your plant right now with a compatible chipset or compatible firmware, you could get some newer modems that are compatible and place them in strategic locations in your network, in a sense, using them like probes. Over time, as more and more of your modems support spectrum capture your coverage will increase.

Comment

I have confirmed that the modems respond to the listed MIBs. My problem at this point is that rf-inspector is not sending any discovery requests. I have edited /etc/rf-inspector.properties to fire at the most specific time possible with no viarables (* or ?). Restart tomcat,I check in rf-inspector.log and I'll see that the properties file reloaded, but I don't see requests go out. I've also done tcpdump on the ip range of the modems and I see no traffic. I saw an initial scan when it first set up, but none modems populated in the modem list. Is there another place I can look for logs or debugging?

Comment

• admin
              admin commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you post the cpeDiscoverySchedule line here from the rf-inspector.properties file? Also state which operating system you have and the directory that your rf-inspector.properties file is located. (should be /etc directory if this is a linux server)

This is the most recent one I used. If I understand correctly this should run every day at 3:50 PM. cpeDiscoverySchedule: 0 50 15 ? * *
            I also tried with no variables whatsoever to avoid error with ? and *. I wanted this one to run on Monday, October 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm. I restarted tomcat after each change and confirmed that the rfinspector.properties file reloaded. Neither of these worked. cpeDiscoverySchedule: 0 0 15 6 10 2 2014
            I'm using Linux and the properties file is right in the /etc directory.

Comment

Yes you are correct on the time for the discovery. Which version of Linux are you running Ubuntu or CentOS?

Comment

You might also try setting your discovery time to cpeDiscoverySchedule: 0 * * * * ? to have it check immediately. Also verify your CIDR is correct for cpeDiscoveryIps.

Comment

Neither. Arch Linux. I did notice that in the manual you can't use both day of the week AND day of the month. I adjusted yesterday and used: 0 35 15 7 10 ? 2014. Still nothing. Is there anywhere other than rf-inspector.log I could be looking for errors or debugging?

Comment

I just want to confirm, in post 6, you did get a response to those mibs on this server correct? Also can you provide me with your current cpeDiscoveryIps value?
                    Last edited by rfinspector; 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by terrykan View Post
                      I have confirmed that the modems respond to the listed MIBs.
                      Can you copy and paste the snmpset command and output when you enable capture on your devices? Which MIB are you using, the CableLabs or Broadcom version for enabling capture?

My problem at this point is that rf-inspector is not sending any discovery requests. I have edited /etc/rf-inspector.properties to fire at the most specific time possible with no viarables (* or ?). Restart tomcat,I check in rf-inspector.log and I'll see that the properties file reloaded, but I don't see requests go out. I've also done tcpdump on the ip range of the modems and I see no traffic. I saw an initial scan when it first set up, but none modems populated in the modem list. Is there another place I can look for logs or debugging?
                      Keep in mind that the CPE discovery process is just a convenience to help operators identify which modems support full band (or wide band) spectrum capture. It is not needed for the software to start a capture and display the results. If you're certain that a specific modem supports either the CableLabs or Broadcom MIB then simply open the RF Inspector client and give it that IP address.

Comment

Your comments have been very helpful. I'm still having trouble enabling capture on a few Arris modems: DG860A, DG860A/AP2, CM820. If you wouldn't mind could you advise me as to what is the best way to do that?

Comment

The first step is check with Arris and make sure your version of firmware supports full band or wide band spectrum capture. We're going to be lab testing several modems of that generation and posting the results over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

I'm wondering if there is any word on support for full band spectrum capture for Arris DG860A, CM820. We're those models part of your lab testing? There hasn't been an official firmware update from Arris as far as I know. Also wondering if you're going to support Motorola SBG6580s at some point? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X